It’s not the bad, it’s the lack of good.

“It is not necessarily the bad causing poor health, rather, it is the lack of good”.

These are the only words you’ll ever need to know when choosing which foods to eat and which to avoid. This has been my motto for the past few years. These words are the foundation to which all my dietary and lifestyle choices revolve.

Think about it though. Everyone is so quick to blame drinking, and cigarettes and processed foods for all their illness. Of course all these things are terrible for you, but ya know what?

NOT EATING ENOUGH HIGHLY NUTRITIOUS FOODS IS JUST AS BAD AS EATING LOTS OF POORLY NUTRITIOUS FOODS.

Our bodies need certain compounds to run effectively, and if these compounds are missing, then that body will be very susceptible to illness.

Yin and yang. Light and dark. Night and day. Love and hate.

When we really look at it, there is no good without the bad and vice versa. It is the excess of one over the other that causes imbalance in our life.

Sometimes, it’s just about perspective.

We’ve all heard of the saying “you are what you eat”, but I invite you to look at it this way… “you are what you DON’T eat”.

If you are a body that is lacking essential fats, vitamins or minerals, you are not a strong and vital person. If you do not intake enough Vitamin A there are consequences. If you do not eat enough Omega 3+6 essential fatty acids there are consequences. If you do not drink enough water there are consequences.

NOT EATING ENOUGH HIGHLY NUTRITIOUS FOODS IS JUST AS BAD AS EATING LOTS OF POORLY NUTRITIOUS FOODS.

Yeah, that’s right, I said it again.

Now, this isn’t to say eating a bunch of crap is OK. But, I invite you to change your perspective. Instead of restricting yourself from say, dairy, try adding healthier alternatives such as almond milk and focusing on the good. Restricting something 100% is very tough to do, and can often lead to bingeing on that item or not following through entirely. Simply put more attention on the good, and less on the bad.

An easy way to think about this idea is the 80-20 philosophy. 80% of the time your dietary and lifestyle choices coincide with your goals. The other 20% of the time you DO WHATEVER YOU WANT. Want a whole bag of chips to yourself on a saturday night after working all week and hitting the gym? Help yourself. Wanna hit that new buffet with your friends? Get to it. At a potluck with pumpkin pie and vanilla ice cream as desert? Dig in. Just do your best majority of the time to follow the health practices YOU believe carry the best benefits.

*More focus on getting the good in, with less focus on keeping the bad out.*

I will offer some of these health practices throughout this blog, but also more structured and detailed In mid 2014, when I will be posting a total health guide entitled “In A Nutshell” listing some of the most essential/powerful/effective practices to consider to improve over all health, now.

There will be roughly 30 different practices ranging from food choices, meditation/breathing techniques, self-development tips to the power of thoughts and communication.

Just remember, it’s all about balance.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s